In September 1969, The Rolling Stones gathered in the Los Angeles hills to prepare for their American tour. The sixteen people, including the Stones, are an eclectic group from Sweden, England, Scotland, and all corners of America. They share meals, rehearse, play with their children. Despite the intimate beginnings, it will be the largest tour of the time; the latest wave of the rock & roll explosion.
Photographer Ethan Russell photographs every facet of the Rolling Stones on the road. The quiet moments back stage, tuning, resting, preparing. Greeting other legends: Chuck Berry, B.B. King. The long waits in airports, hotels, laughing around a Vegas poker table. The intimacy carries into the shows. Night after night, the Rolling Stones propel ecstatic crowds, arms outstretched, to the lip of the stage, only four feet high. The tour comes to an end, a huge success, with only the added free concert waiting on December 6th. Altamont.
Altamont was intended to be the West Coast's answer to Woodstock. A quick negotiation, a last minute change of venue, and a fateful decision about security all played into its unraveling. By night's end, musicians and fans alike were beaten by the Hells Angels.
A dangerously overloaded helicopter carted the band and its entourage away after a man was stabbed to death while pointing a gun at the stage. It was the concussive end to the tour, and many say the end of the Sixties.
See this whole story unfold in these beautiful photographs by Ethan Russel.
- 420 pages in distinctive oversized 15 x 12" page format
- 44-3/8 x 12" panoramic fold out
- Stock is heavy weight matte coated paper imported from Belgium
- The text is Smythe sewn into the hard case cover and finished with red and black head and foot band
- Color and black-and-white photographs are printed in 4-color process with image varnish. Black halftones overprint metallic silver with image varnish
- Elegant black grosgrain ribbon is used to create the lifter and page marker for the book
- Standard Edition is housed in beautiful full color slipcase
Your order will be shipped by a 3rd party. The price for each print includes shipping and handling charges. Please allow for a processing time of 2 business days before your order ships. Free FedEx Standard Shipping is available for both domestic and international orders. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
with questions about your order.
Currently, there are no reviews available.